Friday, June 5, 2009

My Fiction Work

My character has just discovered she’s a fairy. And no, I don’t mean the kind which goes to Pride Day.

She’s really, honestly a fairy: wings, cherubic face, the whole nine yards. And she has a kind of spell over her which changes her shape to human, but which doesn’t change her brain. Once she feels the wings, she gets phantom limb syndrome when they aren’t there.

Oh, yeah: and she’s a princess. Thought that might be fun. But her castle is held by the enemy. That will make things interesting.

I’m not going to reveal everything, but I will say this: Kate’s an awesome character. I’m having loads of fun writing a twenty-year-old girl who almost has an eating disorder, considering I’m a thirtysomething man who is fat and genetically inclined to being bald. And I’m kinda homely, too. Except for that kinda part. But I compensate really well with my ego.

In my story, I’m dealing with men in black, space aliens, UFO sightings, psi, ghosts… the whole ball-o-wax-o-rama. I’m working on research which incorporates all of these things. And it started with this kinda cool idea about a fairy princess who was hidden among the monkey-brained humans to ensure that a prophecy didn’t come true about the royal line ending… the question I have right now is if I will end it or not, and if I do, how. I honestly don’t know at this point.

As of this writing: 25,000 words toward this being a novel.

No comments: