Monday, June 8, 2009

Psychic Ghost Hunting Through UFO Sightings

That’s right: I’ve decided to work on a database which incorporates UFO sightings, ghost-like activity, and claims of psi. By creating a tool which correlates these events, we can see a variety of possible links between these types of activities. I mean: what if what we think of as ghosts are actually aliens? And what if all of these things are actually created by people who don’t know that they’re psychic? And what if it’s all just in our heads, and actually correlates to each other in a way which implies mental illness? And what if it’s all real?

The only way we can even hazard a guess as to whether or not any of this is a workable theory is to collect the data all in one place and to tell the computer to analyze it. My own analysis of some 15,000 reports of different kinds of activities seems to indicate that there is indeed a kind of effect at work. But to prove it, I’m going to need closer to 25 million reports—this represents about 10% of the total number of reported cases.

I contacted ASSAP about this a couple of weeks ago. They want a research proposal, and I’m a little flustered. I can do the research myself; what I need is a boatload of help in creating, designing, deploying and updating the web site, in addition to the data entry. It’s going to take years for a large group to enter in all of that data, classify it, and error-check it. I couldn’t do that in a lifetime by myself.

The end result is a tool which everyone can use, not simply a research project. I might as well write up the research proposal, and focus on the tool’s development. I don’t really want to go about it that way, because the research I want to do requires the tool, and is quick and painless once the tool is completed

I just wish I knew how I was going to do it. It’s going to take more than I can actually do, and I don’t know how to ask for money. Or from whom. Or where to get help. Any ideas, readers?

No comments: